Friday, March 1, 2013

Book beginnings: 84 Charing Cross Road

 

                                        hosted by: Rose City Reader

Hi everyone!!! :)

So today I want to share with you the beginning of the one of the books I'm reading right now. 

This is the cover:


84 Charing Cross Road

And here are the fist lines


"                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                                      14 East 95th St.
                                                                                                                                       New York City
                                                                                                                                   OCTOBER 5, 1949

(this is supposed to be in the right side, but I can't put in the right side, I don't know why :'( )



Marks & Co,
84, Charing Cross Road
London, W.C.2
England
Gentlement:
   Your ad in the Saturday Review of Literature says that you specialize in out-of-print books. The phrase "antiquarian book-sellers" scares me somewhat, as i equate "antique" with expensive"


So far I'm enjoying very much because it's really great book which talks about books. Never in my life had I expected I'd love this book this much, but, yes, it's what is happening. I saw it in some libraries, but I thought I wasn't going to love it, but I saw a copy in the library of my language school and I wanted to give it a try. I'm glad that I did because for me it's one of the best books I've read this year.

Well, this is my book. What do you think of it? Have you read it? If so Did you like it? Let me know in the comments and Please share your beginnings with me! :D

4 comments:

  1. I love it when a bookstore is called 'antique' because it equates to awesome in my head! But then again, I can't always buy the ones I like because they are, unfortunately, often expensive! Thanks for sharing! Here's my Friday post!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Helen is such a character. She makes me laugh :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite books of all times. I've read it three times and seen the movie at least as many. Enjoy!

    Thanks for sharing the opening on Book Beginnings on Fridays!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! :)

      Oooo I'm glad that you enjoyed so much with this book. I was reluctant to watch the film, but since you say you watched the film many times I can't wait to watch it. It should be a good one :)

      Delete