Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wenesday of Review: Austenland by Shannon Hale


What would you do if you were sent to live in a town dressed up like a Jane Austen's character?

That's what happens to the main character of this book

Austenland 

What is this about? Jane is a thirty something woman who is obsessed with Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, especially Colin Firth from the film adaptation which she's seen  a million thousands of times. But by a twist of fate, she is sent to live for three weeks in an English village in the most Jane Austen style.

What I liked: First of all, the plot. Just reading the blurb you want to read the book. Because, honestly, who have never thought of living in Pride and Prejudice book and fell in love with Mr Darcy (obviously played by Colin Firth :))

I liked the fact that the main character was thirty - something like me. Lately, I'm reading a lot of YA books and the main character is always a 16 year-old girl and I'm getting tired of that. Don't get me wrong. I really love YA books, most of them are my favourite books, but I am not a teenager any more and I want to read about people from my age even though we think different or things which happen to us are completely different.

The idea of the trip. I mean, spending in a place dressed up as a Jane Austen character sounds like fun! :)

What I don't liked: Sometimes the book was totally interesting, but other times it was quite boring. I don't know why. Maybe it was me that I didn't understand all the words and maybe I didn't get the jokes (I'm Spanish, that it's plausible) so don't blame the book.

My favourite character: Great- Aunt Carolyn. Maybe this surprises you, maybe not, but I love this character although it appears a little bit in the novel. I imagine her like a person who doesn't realise about what's happening around her, but in reality she sees what others can see.

Overall: I really loved the book although I think I'd enjoy more if I'd understood all the words and jokes and if I'd read all the Jane Austen's works which I haven't yet.

Well, this is my review. What do you think of it? Do you agree with me? What are you thoughts of the book? Did you like it? Let me know in the comments and share with me yours! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment